Deadline for Submissions: April 25, 2019
Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our congressional district.
The over-all winner of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will also include artwork from other contest winners nation-wide.
Art works entered in the contest may be up to 26 inches by 26 inches (including the frame) and may be up to 4 inches in depth. The art work may be
- Paintings - including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings - including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media
- Computer Generated Art
All entries must be an original in concept, design and execution.
- April 25, 2019: Due date for all 2019 Congressional Art Competition entries
- April 30- May 10, 2019: Artwork will be on display at Schingoethe Center of Aurora University
- May 10, 2019: Congressional Art Competition Awards Ceremony, Location TBD
The Congressional Art Competition began in 1982 to provide an opportunity for members of Congress to encourage and recognize the artistic talents of their young constituents. Since then, over 650,000 high school students have been involved with the nationwide competition.
Can I Participate?
The Competition is open only to high school students who reside in the Illinois 11th Congressional District or who are eligible to attend public high school in that district.
Not sure of your congressional district or who your member is? Click here.
If you would like more information on the annual Congressional District Art Competition - including this year's deadlines - please submit the following form.